Sunday 13 February 2022

BIKING BIRDER VI 2022 - 6th February - Nine Firecrests Disappear in the Gloom! Bristol

 6th February 2022         Bristol Dip

          On the road again, though not as planned. I thought I would have a day off as the weather is not too good, rain and wind once more but nine (!) Firecrests have been reported in woodland skirting a golf course at Henbury, about five miles away.

          I arrive quite quickly after taking a maze of cycle routes around the north west of Bristol. Through Henbury churchyard, I find a tunnel and a local birdwatcher, Peter, tells me that this was built by the local vicar over one hundred years ago because he didn't want to see the parishioners as they passed his home on the way to church! 



          Once through the tunnel I search all of the woodland by a stream and whilst not seeing many birds, I am feeling chipper and confident. After all NINE Firecrests were seen here just yesterday.



          Four hours later, as I cycle back to the guest house having not seen a 'crest, let alone a Firecrest, my confidence has gone. With the fore-mentioned local birder, Peter and I watching a tree where six Firecrests had been for hours, it is almost unbelievable that we only see a Coal Tit!

          It's just a bird but it is one of my favourites. 

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...