Wednesday 31 January 2018

60 days to go to BB2018-Peru. New Forest Wildlife Park Visit.


More about the Polylepsis Forest - tree planting programme by ECOANPERU. - Queuna Raymi, 

ECOANPERU Tree Planting 2017

The above link takes one to a superb video showing tree planting in The Andes in Peru last year.





A major tour - adventure company, Amazonas Explorer, has decided to be carbon neutral and for every customer of there's twenty Polylepsis trees will be planted, taking the number planted by this fabulous company to 50,000!





They also became a B-Corps business. This is like what Fair trade is for coffee but for businesses.


Fascinating to watch the B-Corps video and see some of the businesses that has joined and shares their philosophy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now away from all this exciting Peru talk, I have had the pleasure, over the first month of 2018, of giving talks about my Biking Birder adventures to a number of RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) Local groups. The latest talk was for the Portsmouth group. A lovely group who sang for their break of coffee, tea and biscuits. They laughed and watched and a famous young man, Dominik Reynolds, who came to the talk with his mother, Kerry, danced around Morecambe & Wise style. 

Dominik, seven years ago as a small eleven year old, was given the great responsibility of taking a large RSPB collection, 355,773 letters to the future, to Downing Street. Dominik was the youngest ever RSPB volunteer when he started doing work for them at the age of nine.


Dominik's work was finished there though. Dominik was one of a few guests speakers whose task was to enthuse members of the RSPB at the launch of the Stepping Up for Nature campaign.


The other speakers included the wonderful TV presenter, Kate Humble, President of the RSPB that year. Then there was Mark Ian Avery, two ladies describing the Stop the Airport, Cliffe, campaign and a very nervous, no actually terrified Biking Birder.


Dominik wiped the floor with his speech. He was incredible!

On the RSPB webpage describing the day it states :-

And our star of the day, Dominik Reynolds, making certain Mrs Spelman gets the point.


Since that magic day, Dominik has grown so much and has shared his passion for nature with so many people, via volunteer positions and running the Dominik Wildlife Fund.





At the age of fourteen, Dominik wrote :-

My name is Dominik Reynolds. I am 14 years old. I have been volunteering for six years now with the RSPB. Back at the start of it all, I had no idea what experiences and wonderful opportunities would land at my feet as the years went by. But my dedication has rewarded me with some once in a lifetime moments.
I volunteer at the New Forest Reptile Centre near Lyndhurst, usually once every other weekend from April to September, on the RSPB’s ‘Date with Nature’ project. I show visitors around the centre and the reptile pods, sharing my knowledge of our native reptile species. I tell them about our live webcam feed, which we have on big screens in the RSPB hut on the site. The camera is focused on a Goshawk nest and can be watched live online too.
I also show visitors the models of ground nesting birds and the Goshawk, and educate them about these wonderful birds. I really enjoy delving into the diverse contents of the nature basket with the visitors and answer any questions they may have. This contains everything from deer antlers to snake skin and models of all the native reptiles and amphibians we have in the pods. 
My favourite thing about my volunteering is meeting so many new and vastly different people - being  satisfied that they have learnt something new and that I’ve inspired them about the wonderful animals the Forest is home to.
The volunteering experience is made far more enjoyable by the fellow volunteers at the Reptile Centre, and the voluntary Forest Rangers, who work tirelessly to keep places of interest, as well as the Reptile Centre, up and running. Working with them has taught me much of what I know and it is great to form close friendships and have lots of fun and laughter with all the volunteers.
My volunteering has led to me being asked to do some amazing things. I was chosen to represent the RSPB at 10 Downing Street, where I handed in the Letter to the Future campaign. I have also spoken at many conferences with an audience of some quite high up people.
I have been around the south coast taking part in radio interviews about the work of the RSPB and about volunteering for them and have written articles for magazines such as Involve, for RSPB volunteers. Also, I have been Goshawk chick ringing with Forest Rangers - even to the nest we have the live webcam on! 
I would recommend volunteering to anyone who has a little, or a lot, of time to give to a charity or organisation of their interest. It is also a fantastic way of gaining experience with a view to future job choices.
I have gained so much knowledge, experience, confidence and made many valued friendships in the past six years, and I plan to remain a volunteer for many more. 

His fabulous dedication in helping nature brought the richly  deserved "Animal Hero Award of 2014"
Soon to be eighteen, Dominik still supports many wildlife charities by organising fundraising events such as concerts and barn dances. He also organises local beach cleaning events amongst other things.
A future star, Dominik is the sort of young man who brings hope to old cynics. 
All the best everyone,
Love to you all,
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...