Tuesday 5 April 2016

To Fairburn Ings, Fifty Miles Downhill All The Way




Dipper and grey wagtail from the Earby Youth Hostel garden early doors, I pack and head off towards Skipton.
With the wind, light to fresh coming from behind me the cycling is easy despite hills. Actually most of the way is downhill with long stretches of just relax and hold on.

Through Leeds and down to the river, the evidence of the immense floods recently is draped high on every riverside tree; plastic and lots of it. The cycle path is extremely muddy in places and badly damaged in others. Eventually though I reach Astley Lake and enter the excellent bird hide overlooking it. A garganey has been reported there but no one in the hide believes the report. Two sand martins fly past, year tick number 190.

The oracle texts me to say that there is an osprey over Fairburn Ings NOW!
As fast as I can I cycle there but it has flown on, probably it went over my head whilst I cycled here.


It is wonderful to be at one of my favourite RSPB reserves again with tree sparrow covered feeders and mating toads to carefully step over and I explore the lakes to the east as the sun sets.






No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...