Thursday 19 April 2018

A Day Birding in Chaclacayo. Day 18 Biking Birder IV - Peru 2018



Hello again! That is hello if you have been here before. If you are new to my blog then please take your time to read and hopefully enjoy it. Please follow me using the box to the right.

I do so hope that you will enjoy following my adventures. You can do so via this blog and also by my Biking Birder Facebook page and Twitter feed. Also if you want to see all of the photographs I have taken then please go to the Facebook pages linked below.


or via my personal Facebook page :


I am trying to raise money for two charities and obviously I would love you to donate to them.

Please!



Birdlife International




Chaskwasi-Manu Children's Project


April 18th, 2018

Chaclacayo

Out early to try and get birding before the heat of the day, I am soon down by the river and heading downstream. Form atop the hill yesterday I noticed a well appointed housing estate for the well to do with a pond in the middle and so my aim is to search around there.
That plan is scuppered by security guards who say Privado and so I walk along the river's edge on the north side. 


Croaking Ground Doves are very common here and five Great Egrets fly to the other side of the river. Scarlet red Vermilion Flycatchers and Bananaquits are in the trees, as is a Parrot-billed Seedeater, new for the Green Bird list and a male Collared Warbling Finch. Good looking birds the latter but difficult to photograph in the foliage.
Birds are few and far between in the shrubby vegetation and tall reeds of the riverside, other than Tropical Kingbirds, Vermilion Flycatchers and the 'seem to be everywhere' Croaking Ground Doves. The latter are such charming tiny doves and are becoming a favourite of mine.


A stop for a drink and snack allows a new bird to go onto the list as a family party of four Hooded Siskins land nearby.

At the western end of where I can access the riverside there are banana plantations, the trees looking so small compared to the size of the same in the Manu buffer zone. With a lack of birds I content myself with watching and photographing butterflies.

Back along the river to the initial bridge, I watch as workers load a lorry with boulders. Then it is back to the hostel and with the time being 2:00 p.m. It is time for an afternoon siesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...