Friday 24 November 2017

Biking Birder 2018. Advice please for a route in Peru next year.

Morning! Xx

OK, time to get the plans, routes, bird lists, equipment list, flight details and charity links all set in stone for the next Biking Birder adventure in Peru next year, starting in April 2018.

I have set up a Just Giving page as I will be supporting Birdlife International. Please make a donation to this incredible charity. Thanks.




https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/bikingbirderperu2018  

Concerning the route, I have already mapped the two months of cycling and four months kayaking and trekking route if I chose to start from the Peruvian coast near to Laguna de Mehia. This route would take me to Arequipa, Puno, Cusco, Machu Picchu and down the Manu Road to the Madre de Dios river.



Now the problem, as I see it, with this choice of route is that I would need to get carbon transport from Lima to the Ilo District and I really don't want to do this. I prefer a route where I start in Lima and head off inland after a week or so birding around Lima, including a visit to one of my favourite reserves, Los Pantanos de Villa.
Now if I do choose to start at Lima, which way should I go inland. One route would be via Junin, another would be to head south to The Paracas.



Once decided upon I can concentrate on sorting out bird species likely to be encountered.

Also has anyone got any advice over taking one's own bike by plane? I want my Claude Butler with me.

So, OK, any advice please?

Love to you all, xx

Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...