Wednesday 20 January 2016

A Couple of days in Penzance . . Day 1 Waders, a Diver and a Firecrest

Tuesday 19th January fresh SE Cloudy, cool wind

Left The Mad hatter bed & breakfast with a packed lunch from pauline and her good wishes.
Heading for Penzance I stop on the causeway alongside the Hayle estuary, see the spoonbill again and find a common sandpiper.

Onward to Long Rock car park where two knot flew past me heading east along the beach and a raven joined some crows nearby.

No divers to see I cycle to Jubilee Pool, Penzance to look at the large flock of purple sandpipers, twenty eight of them and turnstones there. I just love the way the latter walk right past you if you stand still enough. 

There's a close black-throated diver on the sea and I get soaked whilst filming it as a large wave crashes over me.
To Newlyn Harbour next, seeing a razorbill not looking too fit in the surf on the way. Three great northern divers are actually in the harbour enjoying the relative calm compared to the surge outside the walls.
I decide to go along a pathway beside the Penzance Boating Pool and see a small bird go into a privet hedge. Pishing, a very smart firecrest comes out six feet from my head! Brilliant, one of my favourite birds and it is now on the Year list.

The Green Year list now stands at 132, fourteen ahead of where I was at this time last year.


12.76 miles 628 feet elevation up 476 feet elevation down

No comments:

Post a Comment

BB 2010 Oops, crash and a motorway Abominable Snowman in Hemel Hempstead January 5th

5 th January                                                            Tragedy                                              The Bee Gees   ...